Understanding and Responding to Children with Emotional and Behavioral Challenges Using a Positive, Trauma-informed, Strength-Based Approach and Creating a Positive, Strength-Based Culture for Children in Care.
Strength-based practice is an emerging approach to guiding children, in particular, those with emotional and behavioral challenges, that is exceptionally positive and inspiring. Its focus is on strength-building rather than flaw-fixing. It begins with the belief that every young person has or can develop strengths and utilize past successes to mitigate problem behavior and enhance academic and social functioning.
This presentation will highlight many of the key principles and techniques of this transforming modality. Areas covered include:
- What is strength-based practice?
- The power of a positive attitude and culture.
- The effects of trauma and positive emotions on the brain
- Changing negative mindsets and the deleterious effects of pejorative labeling
- Strength-based communication principles and techniques – including re-framing, using solution-focused questions, positive predicting and inspirational metaphors
- Self-esteem building and activities for at-risk children and youth
- How to help cognitively - inflexible students
- The importance of being family-friendly
- Why, how, and when to use incentive plans; the importance of controlling personal emotions (i.e. managing number one first)
respectful, relationship-based limit setting
- A host of creative cognitive-behavioral strategies
About Charlie Appelstein
Youth care specialist Charlie Appelstein, M.S.W., President of Appelstein Training Resources, LLC (ATR) provides expert strength-based training and consultation for individuals and groups who work with children and youth experiencing emotional and behavioral challenges.
Described as "the best youth care trainer in America" by Robert Lieberman, former president of the American Association of Children's Residential Centers, Charlie has devoted his entire adult career to helping children and youth struggling with emotional and behavioral challenges and those who guide them. An engaging, informative, and humorous speaker, Charlie is the author of three critically acclaimed books on youth care and the creator of two innovative CDs that help kids and parents make better choices and lead happier lives. Charlie's strength-based approach delivers a message of hope and possibility to our most vulnerable youth and those who shape and influence their lives.